Saturday, March 1, 2014

True Style



"Great Style should appear effortless. There should be no signs of hard work, no joins, no lapses. Great style relies on careful editing, whether your preferred effect is sleek and sophisticated or bright and bohemian. It's what you leave out, as much as what you include... True style is ruthless and is based on rejection." Jane Brocket, The Gentle Art of Domesticity, my emphasis

At our house, it's no secret that the professor handles most of the "decorating" - he's both more opinionated and more talented in this arena than I am. To decorate, however, is a reference that makes him cringe. The word curate, I believe, is a more accurate description of his philosophy and methodology, and it's one that I appreciate because it connotes a slow, deliberate, meaningful process. However, when it's all said and done {and it's never completely done!}, I suppose what determines if one's style is pure and/or great is really all in the eye of the beholder.